Step One of the College Journey: FILE YOUR FAFSA
Enrollment for Fall 2017: FAFSA opens October 1, 2016 and the suggested deadline is March 1, 2017.
The annual deadline details may seem complicated to understand at first. There are suggested deadlines, state-by-state, deadlines, and an overall federal deadline. As always, you may call upon any of our advisors to assist with all deails and steps within the FAFSA process.
Suggested Deadline: The suggested deadline for FAFSA in Michigan is March 1 of the school year for which the student is applying. The reason for this date is, in part, due to limited available funds. Therefore, it is best to apply as early as possible.
Federal Deadline: The firm deadline for FAFSA is the federal deadline of June 30th.
There is an 18 month window to file the FAFSA for each academic year. The window opens on January 1, six months previous to the academic year for which the form is being filed.
It should be noted that the FAFSA is used to apply for federal, state, and college sponsored aid. Each program, however, may exercise its own deadline.
The 7 Steps of FAFSA Completion
STEP 1: Student Demographics
Social Security number
Selective Service registration
Student Aid Eligibility Drug Convictions
Highest level of education completed by father/mother
STEP 2: School Selection
High school from which you graduated
College(s) to which you have applied or have interest in attending.
* To increase scholarship opportunity, list private institutions before public colleges/universities.
Step 3: Dependency Status
Filing as a dependent or an independent student
STEP 4: Parent Information
- Demographics (Choose one parent)
- Social Security number
- Full name
- Date of birth
STEP 5: Financial Information
- IRS Data Retrieval - This tool transfers information directly from IRS to FAFSA
- Select "Link to IRS"
- Enter Parent PIN number - Click "Ok"
- Complete demographic information on IRS page
- Click "Enter" - Select "Transfer information to FAFSA"
- Enter wages based upon gross income
- Check appropriate aid recieved by your family
STEP 6: Sign and Submit
- Are you the preparer?
- Yes - I have been paid to complete the student's FAFSA
- No - I am the student or parent/guardian
- Enter student FSA ID - Agree to terms
- Enter parent FSA ID - Agree to terms
STEP 7: Confirmation Page
- Print this page!!