Filing the Free Application for Federall Student Aid (FAFSA)
Enrollment for Fall 2021: FAFSA opens October 1, 2020 and the Michigan deadline is March 1, 2021.
The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is the application filed by current and prospective undergraduate and graduate students to determine their eligibility for state and federal grants and loans. Our advisors will assist you in each of the steps required to file and submit the FAFSA, ensuring accurate, efficient and timely submission.
While the FAFSA opens on October 1, a student may create their FSA ID at any time. The FSA ID is the username and password combination that allows a student to create the FAFSA application. It also serves as an electronic signature to submit the application upon completion.
The 7 Steps of FAFSA Completion
STEP 1: Student Demographics
Social Security number
Selective Service registration
Student Aid Eligibility Drug Convictions
Highest level of education completed by father/mother
STEP 2: School Selection
High school from which you graduated
College(s) to which you have applied or have interest in attending.
* To increase scholarship opportunity, list private institutions before public colleges/universities.
Step 3: Dependency Status
Filing as a dependent or an independent student
STEP 4: Parent Information
- Demographics (Choose one parent)
- Social Security number
- Full name
- Date of birth
STEP 5: Financial Information
- IRS Data Retrieval - This tool transfers information directly from IRS to FAFSA
- Select "Link to IRS"
- Enter Parent PIN number - Click "Ok"
- Complete demographic information on IRS page
- Click "Enter" - Select "Transfer information to FAFSA"
- Enter wages based upon gross income
- Check appropriate aid received by your family
STEP 6: Sign and Submit
- Are you the preparer?
- Yes - I have been paid to complete the student's FAFSA
- No - I am the student or parent/guardian
- Enter student FSA ID - Agree to terms
- Enter parent FSA ID - Agree to terms
STEP 7: Confirmation Page
- Print this page!!
Michigan Deadline: The suggested deadline for FAFSA in Michigan is March 1 of the school year for which the student is applying. The reason for this date is, in part, due to limited available funds. Therefore, it is best to apply as early as possible.
Federal Deadline: The firm deadline for FAFSA is the federal deadline of June 30th.
There is an 18 month window to file the FAFSA for each academic year. The window opens on January 1, six months previous to the academic year for which the form is being filed.