Jackson County Green Schools
The Michigan Green School Act started in 2006 with the intent to save taxpayer dollars and our natural resources. Since then, any private or public school in Michigan that completes a minimum of ten tasks encouraging energy-saving and environmental activities with students may qualify as a Michigan Green School. Recognized schools receive a new official Michigan Green School flag in their first year, a pennant to attach to that in each additional year that they qualify, and a certificate to display. Additionally, schools that complete at least fifteen and twenty tasks receive Emerald and Evergreen statuses, respectively, under the program.
During the program's inaugural year, 18 state schools participated. This past academic year saw many obstacles due to the Covid-19 Pandemic and we do not have an official count of participating schools due to this. With obstacles across the state ranging from building closures, connectivity issues, personal health and attendance issues, many schools did the best they could with what time they had. We commend both those that were able to complete the Michigan Green Schools activities as well as those that had to prioritize other critical areas for their students. The 2020-2021 school year saw 17 schools from Jackson County earning recognition for their Michigan Green School participation. Congratulations to you all!
- Michigan Green Schools - The official site provides valuable insight into the history of the program along with activity ideas.
- U.S. Department of Education Green Ribbon Schools - The GRS program is a national program to inspire schools to reduce environmental impact. From this site, one can explore the resources link for additional ideas for their Michigan green school recognition. You could also try your hand at this national recognition as well.
- Green Strides - The Green Strides portal is intended as a one-stop-shop for resources, webinars, case studies, promising practices, and collaboration so that all schools can make progress across every Pillar of the Green Ribbon Schools Award.
Ready to Apply?
PREFERRED APPLICATION METHOD:
- Using one of the application forms above, complete and save a "working" application throughout the year as you and your students complete activities.
- When you're ready, copy and paste your information over to our online application form here: MGS Online App Link
Alternative Application Methods:
- If you are having difficulty with the electronic application process, you may mail your application either through inter-office or traditional mail service.*
- Mail a paper copy of your application to:
Jackson County ISD
Attn: Bill Montgomery
6700 Browns Lake Rd.
Jackson, MI 49201
*Please Note - Those choosing the alternative application method via mail, must assure that they provide enough time for their applications to be received by March 1st. Unfortunately, there can be no guarantee of an application being accepted if it is received after March 1st. Be thorough and complete in your submission.