We're Turning Heads!
The two-year Cosmetology program provides students with theoretical education and hands-on experience to prepare for the State Board Exam. With hard work and dedication, students can become a licensed cosmetologist* by the time they finish high school.
The two-year program at the Career Center includes training and opportunities to work on the public in the Cosmetology Clinic. In addition to hair, nail and skin services, students will learn business skills along with applicable industry laws that they will need to ensure future success in the field.
Each year, students compete in an annual hair and fashion event designed to promote creativity, talent, and leadership. Juniors participate in a fantasy mannequin competition, while seniors create a complete a head-to-toe look on a live model. A full runway show gives the community the chance to see just how creative and talented our students are!
*Note: The goal of this two-year program is to obtain a state cosmetology license. Hence, a student must complete 1,500 clinical hours and pass the state board examination. Good attendance is required.Success Indicators
- Mandatory 2 year program: Must start class as a junior
- Great attendance: Must complete 1500 hours by end of program to take State of Michigan licensing exam
- GPA of 2.5 or higher is recommended
- Good foundation of basic Math skills: Addition, subtraction, ratios, percentages, angles, and volume
- Interest in Science: Anatomy, Physiology, Chemistry
- Able to locate information
- Positive client-friendly demeanor: Great attitude, good personality, ability to separate personal from professional
- Good interpersonal “people” skills to be able to interact, read, and deal with variety of clients
- Good communication skills: Able to question clients about their needs, listen to gain understanding, and able to convey ideas clearly to avoid misunderstanding
- Artistic nature: Originality and imagination to develop particular cut, style, color on client
- Physical demands: Able to stand for hours, reaching and grasping, stamina, manual dexterity with fingers, able to keep hands and arms steady while working
The Styling Salon at the Jackson Area Career Center will open to the public on Tuesday, October 1, 2019.
Hours will be 12:30pm - 5:30pm on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays & Fridays.Click here to see services & prices:
Call 990-6629 to make an appointment!
InstructorsRonda Applegate(517) 990-1065Lauren Sager(517) 990-6613
Davenport UniversityFerris State UniversityJackson CollegeWashtenaw Community CollegeCareer Credentials & CertificationState of Michigan Cosmetology LicenseNote: Must have transportation 1st year if from a school that only sends PM shift. Junior schedule is 8:00-10:50 AM