Create Your Flavor!
The restaurant industry is booming. Food preparation skills are in high demand. The Career Center’s Culinary Arts program prepares students for success in a number of different food service settings.
Students will learn the skills and action steps needed to manage real kitchen challenges. With the use of institutional kitchen equipment in the Changing Scenes Restaurant, students will prepare food from scratch and serve it in a casual dining setting. The restaurant often serves lunch throughout the school year, and caters for various JCISD events.
Students learn about safety, recipe costing, food processing, purchasing, and the science behind food preparation. There are often field trips to restaurants to observe cooking demonstrations from professional chefs.
This class will also prepare students for the ServSafe food protection manager certification exam. This nationally recognized certification articulates to most culinary colleges. Some students in the class may train to enter a fine culinary arts school, or study hotel/restaurant operations.
Changing Scenes RestaurantOpen during the school year on selected weekdays.Call (517) 990-6601 for reservations.Delicious food, made from scratch, by Career Center students.Success Indicators
- Ability to read for information at the 8th grade level
- Able to perform basic math functions: Fractions, decimals, percentages, and volume
- High standards for personal hygiene
- Demonstrate an eagerness to work, be adaptable, and punctual
- Ability to withstand the physical demands of standing for long periods and working in extreme heat
- Ability to work independently and in teams
- Ability to simultaneously follow a number of different rules in both the kitchen and the classroom
InstructorJohn Helmbreck(517) 990-6601
College Credit Opportunities
• Jackson College
• Davenport University
• Ferris State University
• Washtenaw Community College
Nationwide, almost all culinary colleges accept the ServSafe Certification for sanitation and hygiene credits. Please check with the college of your choice.Certifications
ServSafe National Food Safety