High School Freshman Year College Preparation Checklist
Freshman year can be viewed as an opportunity to create the foundation for a student's high school career. In terms of college preparation, the following considerations should be addressed during a student's Freshman year:
- Consider extracurricular activities that fit your class schedule. Getting involved in clubs and teams creates a well-rounded student.
- Meet with a guidance counselor to discuss plans for high school and the future.
- Select the right mix of classes. Along with core requirements, consider college-prep and tech-prep courses.
- Focus on grades! Grades will impact GPA and class rank. While college seems far off, high school does count toward college admission and scholarships.
- Explore interest and possible careers. Discuss these interests with your guidance counselor. Also, take advantage of Career Day opportunities.
- Consider a college savings plan.
- Learn about college and make summer count.
- Begin building credentials. Keep track of academic and extracurricular awards.
- Begin researching and learning about colleges. Visit libraries and the Internet to find useful college information.
- Visit a college campus if you have the opportunity.
- Summer is a perfect opportunity to volunteer, seek employment, or sign up for an enrichment program.