Parents and Guardians
A College Preparation Checklist for Parents
As a child begins to prepare for college, there is a staggering amount of information to process. There are tasks to perform and deadlines to track. Many of the decisions to be made require skills that are new to a young adult. It is a busy time for the student. For parents and guardians, it is also a very important and hectic time. Particularly, if the student is an oldest child, there may be many new experiences and decisions for parents as well.
The CCAC offers services designed to assist parents in providing support to their graduate. From college decisions, to calculating costs, to finding the most effective funding options, there are many questions to answer and factors to consider.
A parent To Do list may include:
- Use FAFSA4caster to determine how much federal student aid your child may receive.
- Continue to save for your child's education. You can learn about state plans and tax advantages.
- Keep an eye on your child's grades.
- Encourage positive study habits.
- Encourage Advanced Placement courses.
- Speak to your child often regarding plans and interests.
- Stay in contact with your child's teachers and counselors.
- Determine whether your child's school holds College Nights or financial Aid Nights.
- Learn about the standardized tests your child will take.
- Familiarize yourself with the financial aid and scholarship process.
- Schedule an appointment with one of our advisors to answer any questions.