Animals, Plants & More!
This program offers a science-based foundation with practical hands-on application to acquire basic skills associated with agriculture, covering everything from landscape and plant identification to animal care and breeding. Student leadership is developed through teamwork and FFA club activities.
First-year students will learn about animals, natural resources, plant identification, soils, and other sciences. Second-year students enjoy the benefit of enhancing the skills learned and furthering their education in a more specific interest in either plant or animal science.
Each year, plant science students raise production greenhouse plants for the spring plant sale and create dynamic floral pieces for district events. They also can compete at the Michigan Floral Conference and receive a student certification. Those studying Animal Science will learn to raise market-ready livestock, and all students have the opportunity to raise and compete with livestock at MSU and Jackson County Fair competitions.
The class may travel to local farms, businesses, and veterinarians. Agriculture industry professionals often speak in class to students about the jobs and college programs that lead to viable careers.
Students who are successful in this program are often self-motivated, enjoy working outside, getting dirty, and like working with plants and animals. The class requires reading, math, and research skills, and is centered around FFA Club activities.
- A desire to explore careers in many areas of agriculture
- Able to perform physical work in a variety of conditions: willing to work outside in all types of weather
- A desire to learn about and work with livestock including cattle, pigs, chickens, and sheep
- A desire to learn about and work with plants
- A desire to improve leadership skills through FFA club
- Works well with others and in teams, and has the ability to work independently
- Has the ability to complete reading and writing assignments at about the 8th grade level
- Effective communication skills
(517) 768-5107Jennifer Smith(517) 768-5102Davenport UniversityJackson CollegeMichigan State UniversityCareer Credentials & CertificationsMichigan Certified Florist (Professional or Student)Michigan Certified Nursery/Landscaper