March 24, 2023
Jackson, Mich. -- Nearly 70 juniors and seniors got a chance to put their stylist skills on display during the Jackson Area Career Center's Cosmetology Hair and Fashion Show. The show took place on Wednesday, March 23, at the Michigan Theatre in downtown Jackson. The theme of this year's event was "All Glammed Up on the Red Carpet".
Seniors were tasked with designing a look on a real model, while the juniors styled manikin heads using any "fantasy" look. The students were judged by members of industry based on their creativity, closeness to theme, neatness and control, and a brief written description of their work. The winning students included:
- Jillian Nortely - 1st; Vandercook
- Izabella Arntz - 2nd; Jackson High
- Grayce Sarna - 3rd; Michigan Center
- D'Arie Pierce - Honorable Mention; Jackson High
- Aliyah White - Honorable Mention; Western
- Jeniya Broadus - 1st; Jackson High
- Alexis (Lexi) Marks - 2nd; Springport
- Shanna Knight - 3rd; Jackson High
- Alayna Czajkowski - Honorable Mention; Western
- Cassie Ruhlig - Honorable Mention; Ackerson Lake
Students from other Career Center programs lent their talents to the show as well; Agriscience supplied the flowers, Army JROTC cadets greeted people at the door and escorted the models, and Visual Communications took pictures and video. Admission was free, but cash donations for SOAR Cafe & Farms, a local non-profit organization that helps women survivors of human trafficking, sexual abuse and trauma, were accepted at the door.